Applies to version 2020.1.x, author: Michał Bednarz
WEBCON BPS allows you to specify substitutions for users, which may be defined:
- Globally – substitute may perform tasks of substituted person in all processes with substitution option turned on.
- Per process – substitution(s) can be defined per process. It is possible to indicate few substitutes for one user depending on process in which they have tasks to perform.
Substitute is given a task in a form of substitution for the workflow instances with the active tasks and a possibility to modify them. Permissions are not being substituted. If the user has permissions to modify an instance but they do not have any tasks there, the system will not provide analogical permissions for the substitute.
Substitutions for the historic tasks (tasks already active in the moment of substitution start) are created by the workflow service according to schedule. For new tasks, substitution is created in the moment of assignment.
More information about substitutions in WEBCON BPS 2019 you can find at https://howto.webcon.com/substitutions-in-2019-version/ .
Realization of substitution for a person who are at vacation in the selected workflow instance.
The first step is to verify settings of storing information about substitutions. Go to Designer Studio and then, in the “Global parameters” tab find the section with substitution settings. Substitutions can be based on:
- SQL Server Database (substitutions are stored in BPS content database in WFCovers table – recommended option
- External data source – substitution data may be extracted from external system
Fig. 1. Substitutions globally configuration
To make workflow service run also historic tasks, a schedule must be set. Go to WEBCON BPS Designer Studio and from the service configuration level, select the “Schedules” option. It is required to add at least one schedule to run substitutions. The substitution recalculation may happen to be very aggravating for system, so in case of highly developed systems it is good practice to run it before work hours.
The next step is to run substitutions support on a level of a given process. Go to Designer Studio and select the process and then, in the “Settings” tab check the “Enable substitutions” option. Here, it is also possible to configure the way in which the substitutions and substitution notifications will work:
- Task remains accessible to substitute after substitution ends – if substitution ends, the substitutes will have ability to read workflow instances in which they had tasks, despite the fact that they did not perform them.
- Keep notifying substituted with standard e-mails – determines if the substitutes will receive notifications. Notification sending has to be configured on a transition path or action which creates a new task.
- Notify substitute of tasks assigned before substitutions started – decides if the notifications can also be sent to the tasks created before the substitution period. The substitutions are created through the service according to the schedule.
It is also possible to select certain workflow tasks which will be subjected to the substitution mechanism. To make task substitution work during task assignment on takeover path, on Task creation tab, “Enable substitutions” checkbox must be marked.
Fig. 4.The configuration of assigning a task supported by substitutions on the transition path.
Analogical settings may be found in task assignment action:
Fig.5. The configuration of assigning a task supported by substitutions by using actions
For substitution to apply, it is required to create its definition. WebPart BPS Covers Management serves as a tool for creation of substitution definition (configuration of data stored in database). After adding WebPart it has to be configured.
Fig. 6. The configuration of WebPart Covers Managements
The default configuration is sufficient only to add new substitutions by users for themselves. Here the number of processes can be limited and if WebPart is being run in the admistration mode – it allows to add the substitutions for other users.
To add the substitution for yourself, click on “New substitution” hyperlink, select substitute, dates, processes and companies in which substitution will apply. It is important that beginning of substitution is not set on date before current one. System does not allow to create substitutions for past dates.
Fig. 7. Adding the new substitution
Test of developed solution
To test substitutions for already created tasks, you can wait for them to run accordingly to schedule or run them manually using the “Activate substitutions” button in Designer Studio configuration – the “Global parameters” node. After running it, you will see an information about correct start (it is possible to perform such operation also if there is need to quickly start new substitution outside the schedule).
Fig. 8. Running the substitutions for historical tasks
Effect of substitutions action:
Fig. 9. The view of the active task on the form
During task assignment for substituted person, substitution will be created parallel to a task.