Applies to version 8.0.x, author: Michał Bednarz
WEBCON BPS allows to specify substitutions for users, which may be defined:
- Globally – substitute may perform tasks of substituted person in all processes with substitution option turned on
- Per process – substitution(s) can be defined per process. It is possible to indicate few substitutes for one user depending on process in which she/he has tasks to perform
Substitute is given a task in a form of substitution for workflow elements with active tasks and a possibility to modify them. Permissions are not being substituted. If user has permissions to modify an element but (s)he does not have any tasks there, system will not provide analogical permissions for substitute.
Substitutions for historic tasks (tasks already active in moment of substitution start) are created by workflow service according to schedule. For new tasks, substitution is created in moment of assignment.
Let’s assume person being on vacation, needs substutution for all tasks that are belong to him/her.
First step is to verify settings of storing information about substitutions. Go to Designer Studio, in system settings on Global parameters tab, find section with substitution settings. It is possible to choose substitutions based on:
- SQL Database (substitutions are stored in BPS content database in WFCovers table – recommended option
- SharePoint list – not recommended if efficiency is a concern
- External data source – substitution data may be extracted from external system
To make workflow service run also historic tasks, a schedule must be set. Configure it in Designer Studio on level of service configuration in schedules node. It is required to add at least one schedule to run substitutions. Substitution recalculation may happen to be very aggravating for system, so in case of highly developed systems it is good practice to run it before work hours.
Next step is to run substitutions support on a level of given process. Configuration also needs to be set in Designer Studio. In chosen process go to “Settings” tab. To run process substitution, check “Enable substitutions” field. Here, it is also possible to configure the way in which substitutions and substitution notifications will work:
- Task remains accessible to substitute after substitution ends – if substitution ends, substitutes will have ability to read workflow elements in which they had tasks, despite the fact that they did not perform them
- Keep notifying substituted with standard email – determines if substitutes will receive notifications. Notification sending has to be configured on transition path or action which creates new task.
It is also possible to choose certain workflow tasks which will be subjected to substitution mechanism. To make task substitution work during task assignment on takeover path, on Task creation tab, “Enable substitutions” checkbox must be marked.
Analogical settings may be found in task assignment action:
For substitution to apply, it is required to create its definition. WebPart BPS Covers Management serves as a tool for creation of substitution definition (configuration of data stored in database). After adding WebPart it has to be configured.
Default configuration is sufficient only to add new substitutions by users for themselves. Here number of processes can be limited and if WebPart is being run in admistration mode – it allows to add substitutions for other users.
To add substitution for yourself, click on “New substitution” hyperlink, choose substitute, dates, processes and companies in which substitution will apply. It is important that beginning of substitution is not set on date before current one. System does not allow to create substitutions for past dates.
Test of developed solution
To test substitutions for already created tasks, you can wait for them to run accordingly to schedule or run them manually using “Activate substitutions” button in Designer Studio configuration – “Global parameters” node. After running it, you will see an information about correct start (it is possible to perform such operation also if there is need to quickly start new substitution outside the schedule)
Effect of substitutions action:
During task assignment for substituted person, substitution will be created parallel to a task.